OLLI Hikers Fri Mar 18, 11am-1:15pm - McLaren/Philosophers Hike
Friday, March 18, 2016 - 11:00 to 12:15
McLaren Park Hike
- Date: Friday March 18th, start at 11 am ( and conclude around 1:15 pm)
- Meeting Place: plaza at Wilde Overlook Tower on Mansell between Dartmouth and University
- Muni Service to this place--29 Sunset
- Adequate free parking also available
- Hike will start and stop at Mansell between Dartmouth and University
- Rec and Park maintained restrooms at start and end place, at Jerry Garcia Amphitheater, and at McNab Lake
- Hike will follow some of the famous Philosopher's Trail, but will also use some of the abundant trails through the park.
- Overall distance is moderate but the hike does contain some strenuous segments
- We will be able to view from our trails the five SF Neighborhoods contiguous to the park
- These are Visitacion Valley, Sunnydale, Crocker Amazon, Excelsior and Portola
- All of these neighborhoods contain many restaurant possibilities, but no food vendors exist in the park
- Quite spectacular views of the City will also be available throughout the hike.
- We will see abundant wildlife and waterfowl, as well as quite wonderful natural flowers
- The park has many existing outdoor facilities, benches and tables, to accommodate hiking groups
- Consider bringing your lunch and enjoy the outdoor facilities the Park offers
- SF DPW is doing some work on Mansell but there shouldn't be any issues with us.
Attached please find these items for further information:
Meeting Place: plaza at Wilde Overlook Tower on Mansell between Dartmouth and University